I can't thank you enough for your help.  Every response is at least another
two day learning activity.  I just wish I didn't have to work to pay the
bills.

I went back to see what I did and it turns out I misspelled the name of the
dtbo file that I was using so there is no wonder it didn't work.
Now I get an error that the file exists when I:

echo pru_enable > /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.8/slots

echo: write error: File exists
prussdrv_open open failed

so I guess I have more to learn :(

What I am really trying to do is learn how to work with this device.
This activity is to learn to write to a set of 9 or 10 pins, 8 data and one
enable or 2 handshake.

My next step is to read fro a set of 9 or 10 pins, 8 for data and one for
write enable or 2 for a handshake.

So:

If I add your desired pinmux settings to a custom PRU overlay based off of
one of the BB-BONE-PRU overlays provided with the standard kernel.  What
would be the limitations?

I figure I could work out the problems at a later time.  after I see an led
light up:)