Hi KeOu,

I guess with 3.8.13-bone67 I had "phy not found" as frequently as with the
original image. On one board with 3.8.13-bone67, I had just one occurrence
of "phy not found" in 50 power-on resets. On the other board with the same
kernel I had 22 "phy not found" out of 50 power-on resets. Then I updated
the kernel to 3.8.13-bone68, and still had that error, 12 times out of 50
power-on resets.

To perform that kernel update, I followed the instructions from the error
message that showed up after I attempted to run "install-me.sh" from
http://rcn-ee.net/deb/wheezy-armhf/v3.8.13-bone68/ Could you please
describe in more detail what prebuilt image you tried and how exactly you
installed that? Did you also install some other U-Boot?

Some time ago, I installed and tried one of the rcn-ee.net images following
a procedure similar to that described here
<http://www.armhf.com/boards/beaglebone-black/bbb-sd-install/>. But it
didn't help.

There is one important thing to remember: "phy not found" happens before
autoboot in U-Boot, and if that happens, no matter which Linux is loaded
afterwards - the transceiver chip doesn't work properly. So, both
3.8.13-bone67 and 3.8.13-bone68 fail to detect the chip, if it wasn't
detected by U-Boot.

Regards,
Alex