On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 12:48 AM,  <rickyc8...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert. Thanks for your info.
>
> When you make partitions using sfdisk, where is the info written? Would the
> info overwrite the memory area of MLO or boot.img?

Right here:

https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black#BeagleBoneBlack-SetupmicroSD/SDcard

> I have a problem when using this image. At boot I always get this message :
>
> [   10.379089] libphy: PHY 4a101000.mdio:01 not found
> [   10.384157] net eth0: phy 4a101000.mdio:01 not found on slave 1

The am335x has two ports (or slaves), only one is connected on the black.

> whether or not I have a cable plugged in. But if I have the ethernet cable
> plugged in, the system booted up relatively quickly with the log in prompt,
> otherwise it will take about 100 seconds before the log in prompt appeared.
> And if I plug in a cable after booting up, it will take a long while before
> the cable is detected and even longer before an IP is assigned by the DHCP
> server. I tried changing the settings in "dhclient.conf" without any effect.
> What can I do to fix these problems? In the stock kernel that came with the
> board(Rev C), the same message appears but only after the log in prompt, and
> it doesn't block the other operations.

100~ 120seconds..  Disable eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces and it'll
boot fast.. But you will have to manually call dhclient..

> I also read from the forum that the cape manager is gone in this kernel
> version(so soon!), so does that mean I have to put the capes I need in the
> am335x-boneblack.dts file and load everything at boot time? And how can I
> know what capes are loaded now without the
> "/sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots"?

It's your choice, either use v3.14.x and modify the dtb's by
"dtb-rebuilder" or install 3.8..

dtb-rebuilder:
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:Capes_3.8_to_3.14#Custom_dtb

3.8:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.8.13-bone68
sudo reboot

Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/