Richard, I can not state it any better than wikipedia ( regular expression
).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression

Basically like wildcards, but much more powerful. Now as to whether or not
just using "regex" represents "strong array handling" . . . again that
depends on your definition.

When I mentioned a web UI backend above that was just an example, but what
you're describing seems to fit C very closely, No, C is not high level, but
as long as C has been around, you can almost guarantee you'll be able to
find a library that will work for you. An executable compiled from C can
also be very compact, and super fast.

Now for sure, an inexperienced developer can write bad code in C, however
this is true of any language. Possibly more so with C, since it is a very
powerful language. A language that also demands you understand what your
code does. But again . . . this is true for all programing languages out
there.

Easy to maintain ? Bug free code ? This is all the responsibility of the
developer(s) using any language.

I would also consider how much bloat many of these high level languages add
to an executable when compiled.

With all the above said, one other language did come to mind after thinking
about it a bit. FreeBasic, but I've never used it. So I have no idea what
the BCL ( base class library ) is like, and no idea how many libraries
exist for it. It is one of the few languages I hear of now and again, but
have never looked in to. Mostly because I try to distance myself from any
form of basic when possible. Funny that back in the  early 90's the first
languages I started with was quickbasic . . .