> Well, I used apt-get install. I traced back the command entered when
> examining .bash_history:
> *# sudo apt-get install linux-image-4.1.15-bone-rt-r18 *

So you say it just failed, and when you examined the second stage uEnv.txt
file the uname_r variable had not changed to reflect the upgrade ? What
kind of power supply are you using, and how  much do you have running on
the board ?

Anyway, using APT is the correct way to install a kernel on Debian. Period.
Not just for this hardware, but in general. So I would say that you just
experienced a glitch that is not usually that happens when upgrading. But
when I tell you that I've not experienced this myself in 3.5 years of using
this board . . . that's not entirely accurate. I've experienced a few
glitches here, and there. I just never dug into what happened. Instead I
just tried again, and it worked . . . So maybe nothing is 100% perfect, but
it does work if you keep at it.

Heres a tip though. Whenever flashing a new image, or doing anythign like
upgrading the kernel. Disconnect, and / or turn off everything non
essential. Peripheral wise. ethernet, and eMMC should be fine, but passed
that turn every thing else off.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORq-r6xLs5BKOc%3D7oniAG9R-OmPmKW-oChZUnmLN39FnGQ%40mail.gmail.com.