The Beaglebone is a better choice than say, Raspberry Pi, since Linux is
somewhat locked-down on the R Pi, which puts limits what you can do with it.

On the Beaglebone, there are multiple variations of Linux that are
supported, and you are free to compile your own kernel variations and load
and run them, also.

I would make sure you got something like a Rev C BeagleBone Black, with the
4G on board memory.  The earlier B and A versions only have 2GB on board
memory.

To get going, you will also need a quality (2 Amp recommended) 5 Volt power
supply to power through the "barrel connector." (Wall wart.)
example:   https://www.adafruit.com/products/276

A few uSD memory cards, preferably at least 8 GB in size,

A method of writing those uSD cards (USB Adapter) from a host PC or Linux
computer.
Example:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-External-Memory-Reader-FCREADMICRO3/dp/B00DFVZOCA/ref=sr_1_1

A USB to serial adapter cable, so you can directly access the command line
on the Beaglebone from a PC or Linux host computer.
Example: https://www.adafruit.com/products/70   or
 http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTDI/TTL-232R-3V3/

A book like:
Exploring BeagleBone: Tools and Techniques for Building with Embedded Linux
by Derek Molloy
or
BeagleBone Cookbook: Software and Hardware Problems and Solutions by Mark
A. Yoder and Jason Kridner

--- Graham

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/b9804b87-02e2-4041-92ab-1255b07b3a6b%40googlegroups.com.