On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Alvin Koontz <alvinkoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am one of the students who was given the BBBlue to interface with
> the robot, We have the latest image on an SD card in the BBBlue, on boot
> the leds appear to go through the normal boot routine. However we are
> unable to interface with it in anyway. Initially we tried to connect with
> the usb network cable, however it was not recognized as even being attached
> by Ubuntu or windows, where as the black normally will show up as a device.

So, the  USB interface to ethernet or serial are known as g_ether, and
g_serial respectively. These are USB gadget "drivers". Which have to be
enabled in order to be used. It sounds as though perhaps these may not be
enabled by default at boot. Either way, have you all tried to connect to
the beaglebone via the ethernet port yet ?

> So we tried to interface with UART0 which we assume is the debug serial
> port, and the only thing we read was nonsense, using the same serial config
> that we use to interface with the black. So we are unsure if we are missing
> something or if there is maybe a problem with the board

This sounds like a serial device misconfiguration. What you describe is
exactly what happens when you have the wrong baud rate set on one end or
the other. As Jason just replied the configuration must be 115200 baud N81
on both ends. The Linux image you're using probably already has this set
correctly. So this is probably a client side terminal app misconfiguration.

The two serial application I know work on Windows is puTTY, and the paralax
terminal application( Sorry cant think of the name off hand ). I do
personally use puTTY regularly on Windows though. You may even have to go
into device manager and change the settings there. Make sure flow control
is turned off. Becasue Widnows seems to like XON and XOFF for default
control flow. Make sure the other settings here reflect those already
discuses as well. As I believe everything by default will be correct,
except baud rate: Widnows defaults to 9600, and flow control: Which Windows
defaults to XON/XOFF. Your mileage may vary.

Additionally, from Linux in a pinch you can run:

$ sudo cat /dev/ttyO0

And cat should be able to view serial output. Assuming you have the baud
rate set correctly for this device. Or . . . if you're unsure where the
configuration is, or how to set that up. You can run screen like so:

$ sudo screen /dev/ttyO0 115200

The rest of the parameters should default too the correct values.

As with Windows, I have personally used both these Linux utilities, and I
do know they work. However, with screen or cat, eventually line breaks will
start to be recognized in the wrong part of the serial output. Making the
output slight harder to "parse". Visually, or programmatically.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORqOWcJhXES50ybjEiBYuCS%3DNuYR8cQRSgxYvJqQTkAEXQ%40mail.gmail.com.