Sorry I sort of mixed up my explanation a little.

So if you're connecting to the serial debug port on the beaglebone to a
Linux host machine. The beaglebone side interface would be /dev/ttyO0,
where on the host computer side the serial interface would show up as
something similar to /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyACM0.

It depends on which serial to USB device you're using. Here, I use a
PL2303hx based serial to USB cable, and that shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORq86n7Utg%2BSF9h1ryWTxxm-oed6Oa6sj2dnahPHM4v0Rw%40mail.gmail.com.