I've got a BBGW bolted to the side of my house exposed to a sub-tropical
climate.
I'm running without benefit of a UPS.  My home has a "whole" house surge
suppressor.
I suppose the little 5V "wall wart" switching power supply is providing
some isolation.

The WIFI is solid and quite reliable.  I have seen a few instances where I
had to reboot the board when the WIFI dropped, however,
with the board in its remote location I am less motivated to analyze the
problem.
I reboot by flipping a breaker in the main house panel in the garage.
WIFI has consistently come back up after reboot.

This area is one of the top areas in the world for lightning strikes, and
the AC power is often very glitchy.

I'm surprised it has survived this long.  I'm totally satisfied with the
level of reliability so far.
It will be interesting to see if the BBGW survives the long, hot summer.

The kernel info:

Linux beaglebone 4.4.48-ti-r88 #1 SMP Sun Feb 12 01:06:00 UTC 2017 armv7l
GNU/Linux

I think the above is from the March version IOT Debian image at
beagleboard.org.

Greg

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/be8ce839-b927-40f9-b4bc-0f8e4a3aaaaf%40googlegroups.com.