On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 4:20 PM Ralph Stormer <powerto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Once again, thank you for this information.
>
> I wanted to give you and anyone else in my situation an update on this
> matter. I was able to successfully disable the HDMI interface by going into
> nano /boot/uEnv.txt and commenting the "disable_uboot_overlay_video=1" line.
>
> The next thing I looked into was using the 24-bit overlay example mentioned
> previously and linked here:
> https://github.com/beagleboard/bb.org-overlays/blob/master/src/arm/BB-BONE-NH7C-01-A0.dts
>
> After several hours of research, I discovered that the .dto of this overlay
> was already on the BeagleBone Black. I then tried adding this .dto file into
> the uEnv.txt file and rebooted the Beagle. I powered it on and tried probing
> some of the LCD_DATA pins with an o-scope and didn't get anything. Did I do
> something wrong?

IDK, let's find out:

sudo /opt/scripts/tools/version.sh

> I would also like some help modifying this overlay for other requirements. I
> simply only want to unlock the full 24-bit LCD_DATA lines of the Beagle. My
> display that I want to connect has a resolution of 640x480. It is not a
> touchscreen and I do not need backlight control as I have an external
> backlight driver. In this file, I also see display settings such as
> fronporch, backporch, hsync, vsync, and clock, which by looking at the
> datasheet of my display is 25MHz. How to I get these other values for my
> display?

Well start with the example and remove things you don't need.

You find them in the datasheet of the glass provider.  and then you guess...

> I understand that once the overlay is written, I use the dtc command to
> compile a .dto file, which is then placed somewhere in uEnv.txt (I believe).

Or just copy it to: ./src/arm/ and run make from the bb.org-overlays repo

> Lastly, is there anyway to test that the overlay is in place and working?
> Until now, I simply connect an o-scope to see signals such as clock.

Plug in the lcd?  We don't have any simulators.

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/