On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 10:13 AM Stefano Zacchiroli <z...@upsilon.cc> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 11:48:00PM -0700, Justus Pendleton wrote:
> > * Have a "bugmaster". This is a community member who isn't even
> necessarily
> > that acquainted with the code base (perhaps not even technical at all)
> but
> > they are engaged with the project and can help reply to new bug reports
> > quickly and triage them. Close duplicates, ask for more information &
> > reproduction steps quickly (i.e. while the reporter is still paying
> > attention), and help bring important issues to the attention of Martin &
> > other people doing development.
>
> FWIW, based on my experience in maintaining very popular packages in
> Debian (a long time ago...), this idea is appealing but doesn't work
> well in practice. Bug triaging isn't in the end a lot of time, in
> comparison to development, and a maintainer who knows the code well is
> going to be extremely more efficient than someone less into the code. So
> you don't gain much and you also incur the risks of mis-triaging bugs,
> that are gonna cost you time to re-triage properly later. YMMV.
>
> > * Martin mentions "monthly team meetings" which I think is a good idea
> > --  it provides a synchronization point for things like the bugmaster
> > or the  code reviewer to agitate for action on something that seems to
> > have been  stalled. Though I'm less sure about the exact style &
> > format. Monthly  versus quarterly? Zoom video style versus Discord
> > text style? I think we'd  have to see some proposed agendas of what
> > such a team meeting might be  about to say much more.
>
> This one is pretty cool on the other hand. In my experience what works
> super well are in person hackatons, ideally over more than 1 day. I've
> never tried the pure online version of them, but I guess by now there
> should be some experience in how to manage them effectively (assuming
> they could be made to work). Not sure if just short meetings (with no
> actual coding time) would be worth it --- don't we all already have way
> too many meetings anyway? --- but it might be worth a try

I have a different experience; hackathons never did anything much for me.
For some number of years I would attend the hacking days before/after
PyCon, and I didn't get a lot out of the coding sessions. The fun part of
these to me was always the hallway conversations, where I'd learn some
mildly esoteric stuff. I like to write code alone.

What I think could be appealing to a VC chat is to bring a human element to
these discussions, see people's faces, hear them rant and rave about what
they really care about. Mailing-lists are dry, and the dynamics change a
lot when you know the people face-to-face.