On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 11:48:00PM -0700, Justus Pendleton wrote:
> * Have a "bugmaster". This is a community member who isn't even necessarily
> that acquainted with the code base (perhaps not even technical at all) but
> they are engaged with the project and can help reply to new bug reports
> quickly and triage them. Close duplicates, ask for more information &
> reproduction steps quickly (i.e. while the reporter is still paying
> attention), and help bring important issues to the attention of Martin &
> other people doing development.

FWIW, based on my experience in maintaining very popular packages in
Debian (a long time ago...), this idea is appealing but doesn't work
well in practice. Bug triaging isn't in the end a lot of time, in
comparison to development, and a maintainer who knows the code well is
going to be extremely more efficient than someone less into the code. So
you don't gain much and you also incur the risks of mis-triaging bugs,
that are gonna cost you time to re-triage properly later. YMMV.

> * Martin mentions "monthly team meetings" which I think is a good idea
> --  it provides a synchronization point for things like the bugmaster
> or the  code reviewer to agitate for action on something that seems to
> have been  stalled. Though I'm less sure about the exact style &
> format. Monthly  versus quarterly? Zoom video style versus Discord
> text style? I think we'd  have to see some proposed agendas of what
> such a team meeting might be  about to say much more.

This one is pretty cool on the other hand. In my experience what works
super well are in person hackatons, ideally over more than 1 day. I've
never tried the pure online version of them, but I guess by now there
should be some experience in how to manage them effectively (assuming
they could be made to work). Not sure if just short meetings (with no
actual coding time) would be worth it --- don't we all already have way
too many meetings anyway? --- but it might be worth a try.

I'm not sure I'll have much to contribute, given my very sporadic track
record of contributing to Beancount, but I'll be happy to try if any of
these happens.

Cheers
--
Stefano Zacchiroli . z...@upsilon.cc . upsilon.cc/zack . . o . . . o . o
Computer Science Professor . CTO Software Heritage . . . . . o . . . o o