On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 7:58 AM Stefano Zacchiroli <z...@upsilon.cc> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 03:09:34AM -0700, Andre Engelbrecht wrote:
> > *Disclosure*: I've converted a couple of people from using webapps or
> > spreadsheets to use ledger. They love ledger despite some of the
> > nuance. I've been trying to move them over to beancount, but having a
> > bit harder time because of the python dependency.  Fava and being able
> > to run it locally has been a great driver to have people at least
> > consider installing python and giving beancount a test run.
>
> Same for me. I've converted some people to Beancount thanks to the fact
> that "pip install beancount" was simple enough (although indeed still a
> barrier for non-dev people) for them to install. Bazel will be a much
> higher barrier for people to install/use Beancount. I totally understand
> switching to it from a dev point of view, but it would be great to
> maintain the ability to install via pip.
>
> I've used pypi to ship weird python code depending on a huge java
> bundle, and I know it works well. If there is a way to ship (and then
> select) static binaries for the non-Python parts for multiple
> architectures (the most popular ones) via pip, I think it'd be totally
> worth it in terms of user base.

I'm sure we can figure out how to bake binaries that install with pip.
But at the EOTD, if it works well on Linux by building and running from
source, I'm happy enough.

I stopped looking at this project as a way to convert others to it a long
time ago... If it sells itself, it's because of the characteristics of the
language itself: the problems it solves, how it does that elegantly and
clearly, and how it allows you to integrate custom scripts with it. If
people want to e.g. port it to Windows, make nice packaging, etc. I'm happy
to apply patches and do some very moderate work to facilitate that, but I
find open source works best when it's a mildly selfish endeavour.  I enjoy
solving problems, so that's what I want to focus on for the most part.
We'll see later about packaging. I'm doing this for fun...

Cheers