I have a case that doesn't produce the desired output: a transfer out of an
account, in-kind. This gets categorized as an ASSET_OTHERASSET. I'm not
sure I understand the reasoning for why this category cashflows out the
*cost basis* of the other asset. Shouldn't it be outflowing the market
value instead?

More generally, in-kind transfers (in or out) don't seem to work correctly
for this reason. They only work if both source and target accounts are
considered together in a group.

Source:

option "operating_currency" "USD"
plugin "beancount.plugins.implicit_prices"

2005-01-01 commodity USD
2005-01-01 commodity HOOL

2000-01-01 open Assets:Brokerage:USD
2000-01-01 open Assets:Brokerage:HOOL "STRICT"
2000-01-01 open Assets:Zero-Sum-Accounts:Transfers "STRICT"

2020-01-01 * "Buy"
  Assets:Brokerage:HOOL 1000 HOOL {1 USD}
  Assets:Brokerage:USD

2020-10-01 price HOOL 1.1 USD

2020-10-02 * "Transfer out, in kind"
  Assets:Brokerage:HOOL   -1000 HOOL {1 USD}
  Assets:Zero-Sum-Accounts:Transfers  1000 HOOL {1 USD}

Config:
investments {
  investment {
    currency: "HOOL"
    asset_account: "Assets:Brokerage:HOOL"
    cash_accounts: "Assets:Brokerage:USD"
    dividend_accounts: "Income:Dividends:Brokerage:HOOL"
  }
}
groups {
  group {
    name: "currency.HOOL"
    investment: "Assets:Brokerage:HOOL"
  }
}

Results:

Desired (meaningful) output: 12% CAGR
Actual output: 0.00% (since the cashflow is -1000 for the buy, and +1000
for the transfer).