By define commodities do you mean
"2019-09-03 open Assets:Investing:CSchwab:RDFN                      RDFN"
etc ? Sure, they are defined, otherwise i won't be able to use them in
beancount/fava.

UPDATE: i see, i think you mean i need to do
"2019-09-03 commodity RDFN". Strange why beancount/fava worked just fine
without this declaration.