On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 8:12 PM Bman Q <mplo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> thank you for your reply,
>
> i understand that beangrow is experimental, and i really appreciate what
> it can do even in this form, hopefully we (i see some users on github) will
> contribute to work too. Your work is really helpful to lots of people, one
> more time thank you.
>
> I managed to make bean grow work, i needed to add "commodity"
> declarations. (surprisingly beancount / fava worked without them just fine)
> Plus couple windows related bugs for which i opened issues on beangrow's
> github providing temp fixes.

Ah I see. I may have assumed you use the "check_commodity" plugin, which
ensures all commodities have a corresponding declarations.
(This will be default in v3.)

> I have couple of additional questions on bean grow set-up:
> 1. configure.py seems to ignore closed accounts, is it how it supposed to
> work?
> (usually for strictness i was closing accounts after i exited/sold
> position, example: "2020-10-06 close Assets:Investing:CSchwab:RDFN")

I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure I calculated returns on closed
accounts.

> 2. "Including Uninvested Cash"
> Do i understand it right that the easiest way to account for uninvested
> cash is to create
> -commodity "IDDLEUSD"
> -account Assets:Investing:IDDLEUSD
> buy IDDLEUSD for all cash (USD) that i can invest at rate 1:1,
> and then at each interval i do reports "price IDDLEUSD 1 USD",
> and when i want to buy smng sell IDDLEUSD for USD, and buy what i want.
> ?
>
> OR is there a way to make my investment cash accounts
> "Assets:Investing:CSchwab:Cash", etc to be counted as investment (with 0
> return) ?

I don't remember, honestly, but this is a really important aspect.
Uninvested cash has to count. I doubt I ignored it.

> 3. Is there recommended time frame for "price" quotes?
> Usually i open positions for 3-5 years, so not interested in daily or even
> monthly fluctuations.
> Do i understand it right that if i use
> -"plugin "beancount.plugins.implicit_prices"" (to get price from buy/sell
> transactions)
> -price my investments on 1st of each Quarter
> -run compute_returns.py with -e DATE = 1st of each Quarter (basically same
> cut off as date of last price quote)
> then i will be fine and won't need any more price quotes
> ?

Yes, that's good enough.
IIRC I was using a weekly or monthly interval.
Just depends how smooth you want the curve to be.