hi yall,
    i'm a noob and was ganna throw in 2 cents worth to this...
i never saw the book your talking about brint...   i bought perl cookbook by
O'RIELLY first off   (  bad mistake! )    then i bought sams teach yourself
perl in 24 hours  (very good book for the next step above beginner i would
say)
next i bought sams teach yourself CGI in 24 hours...    this book is not
focused just on CGI and PERL...

WAL-MART has a book called -  CGI fast &easy web development.
this book is like what brint said...    every line of code is explained and
it has leaned me enough to start writing my own simple applications...
this book focused on CGI with Perl also...

from this book,  i've finally accomplished the understanding of what it
takes to make a perl program run...      form input,  parseing the data,
creating or appending input to a flatfile database,  and my next attemp is
to search and match a userids line of information in the database and do
manipulations of that line...    updateing,  counting, adding ..   etc..
YES...    i'm ganna need yalls help  :))

back to the point,
   if you can't find the book brint is talking about,  get the one from
wal-mart...
the fast & easy has a cd with all the examples on cd that are formated and
ready to run...   all you have to do is change the path to your cgi-bin and
set the shabang for perl...     by reading and running the scripts will be a
great advantage in learning.....    don't go buy several books like i did...
then you may advance to other books for reference like i'm doing now...

another thing...   i'm sure you have your own web server installed...   if
not...   you should do this first to do all testing on your pc and not
haveing to ftp to another server...

i hope this helped...
=p
RDWest Sr.