This thread is closed, my statement follows.

On Jan 03, 2002 at 10:51 -0500, Graham Gudgin took the soap box and proclaimed:
: The reason I was first attracted to this list was because of an article,
: announcing its launch (and that of the perl beginners list), in which the
: general theme was that for too long, newcomers to Perl had been subjected
: to "RTFM" in response to pleas for help. The lists were being set up to
: provide a friendly and inviting atmosphere in which to get and give help.
:
: In fact, in the FAQ for this list we have:
:
[ snipped relevent FAQ entries ]
:
: I find it disturbing to see these guidelines being ignored by people who
: should know better - people who have a lot of respect within the Perl
: community. Such messages as (excerpted):
:
[ snipped sited excerpts ]
:
: This kind of "ill-tempered" response does this list (nor the respondent) no
: favors at all.

The posts that you have brought up do have an ill-tempered undertone.
Understandably, they come from a person who tries very hard to push
against certain ideals that, for what ever reason, have been deemed
OK.  The poster is no doubt tired and frustrated after all these
years.

While we, as an understanding community, should take that into
concideration, we also don't enjoy ill-tempered messages.  Do I think
the unnamed poster should use that particular tone?  No, I don't.

However, I would like to make it known that the two posts to which you
refer do have good information in them.  The poster is trying to bring
that information to light in order to help the beginners grow to be
better Perl programmers in the long run.

I would also like to adress this message.  The poster to whom you
refer had copied me on some of those messages that he felt may
get such a reaction.  I am honored by his approach, it was private and
respectful.  I would like us to all consider this approach when
feeling like someone has violated the rules of this community.

Speak to them personally, off the list.  Humbly explain why you feel
how you do.  If that does not work, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
and explain your situation there.  If, even after that, there is still
a problem, I asure you that beginners-workers folks will take care of
it.

Please trust the system, potential flame bait (whether intentional or
not) is not a good thing either.

  Casey West

--
Shooting yourself in the foot with BASIC (interpreted)
You shoot yourself in the foot with a water pistol until your leg is