From: bobs [mailto:bobs]On Behalf Of J.Robert Suckling
Sent: 30 January 2002 17:47
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Sir Douglas Cook
Subject: off subject: How do I Configure Perl for use with a Personal
Web Server?

This is an off subject post,
Windows is a toy operations system.
It is intent is to provide you a platform to buy stuff.
IMHO, The result is it makes for a dysfunctional system
is just an early version of the new "X" box.

What you want is a real operation system that will
empower you to go real computing.  Today the system
of choose is called Linux.  Linux provides the system
interface that Perl was written to run on, UNIX.
Not some dysfunctional system that perl was ported to
(Thanks Larry).

See my note, below.

John wrote:

> I don't know anything about PWS, but regarding Linux, if you have a fast
> internet connection you can install Debian over 98 at no cost and very
> easily with only a few floppies.  X is apparently still a nightmare to
> configure but everything else makes it worthwhile.  http://www.debian.org
> and you won't have PWS, bat, or any other Micro$oft crap.  It takes some
> time but you learn a lot.

A unix box, is a real operating system for your computer.
the PC computer unix of today is called Linux.  It requires
less hardware then Windows 98.  So you are mistaken to say
you cannot afford a UNIX Box.  You can set up your PC
to boot into Windows 89 and linux, You pick each time
you start your computer.  In time you will only use
windows to play games.  IMHO That is what it's best at.

Go to any discount software store and get a linux distribution.
There are many to pick from.  To get going as simply as possible,
I use Red Hat linux.  Mandrake, is a copy of that, and is also good.
Debian is the hackers distribution, (sorry John) it is not so easy
to get started with Debian.

All of these distribution come with perl and Apache.
Apache is the most used web server in the internet.
It's the one you want, it's small, it's fast, it comes
ready to run perl.

There are some basics that you need to learn about unix.
If you can find a linux users group, all Universities with
a creditable computer curriculum, have them, near by just
ask a student.  A users group is one of the best ways to
get started.  That way you have some one to ask questions
and to help you get started.

> I have researched many great tutoral sites like
> http://www.netcat.co.uk/rob/perl/win32perltut.html
> But none have helped me configure my PWS.

I don't know where to look, but I am sure someone
can sell you something.  better yet, skip that
and get linux.

> Thank you all for your help in advance
> Doug Cook [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> as I am new to Perl and CGI, like I had to tell you that :-)

Your most welcome.