On Saturday, April 20, 2002, at 07:22 , Octavian Rasnita wrote:

much of this depends upon the policy of the people running
the core server... If they allow user's to have their own
cgi space then that is ok. I have a small test set that
i run independent of the main ones - so my limited experience
rest more on my testing rather than the site wide.

> Please tell me how should I set the rights for some files and folders in
> my
> web page:
> 1. The cgi-bin directory.

755 - no one but the player should have write permissions.
but if you want anyone to run the cgi code - then they will
need to have read and execute permissions on the directory.
{ correct me if I am totally spaced here... especially I
think for interpreted languages like perl.

> 2. The Perl script files from this directory.

755 - or at least I do.

> 3. The html directory.

755 - unless you are going to run .htaccess on them -

> 4. The html files from this directory.

644 - they are not executables.

> 5. The php files.

the php files I have found for us seem to be set in the
'functions' directory to 644 - just like perl modules.

but I will defer to any php pro....

> 6. The folder where I want to keep page counters (It should be writable)

good question - never tried that yet...

> 7. The page counter files and other files that should be writable by the
> web page visitor.

never sure that is a good idea...

> 8. The .htaccess files.

644 - but I also have the protection of knowing that I am
using a radius server authentication.... with a reasonably
solid firewall managed by a real JackBootedFascistThug Admin....

ciao
drieux

---