well.. I have 6 years Perl.. but I don't do web design, and no PHP
programmer has been me out of a position yet.
I am not shooting down PHP, but Perl has many many advantages over PHP, but
PHP is better for DB access via a web front. But Perl is better at backend
access and overall reporting (not DB reports alone). It's just not a dead or
dying language. I think with Perl 6 it will have much renewed vigour.

Remember all languages have there advantages and disadavantages.

[rant]
C/C++: number crunch/OS masters
Perl: parsing masters
PHP: DB/CGI masters