Relational databasing just means that there are keys associated between the
different databases that allows the database software to easily make matches
from one database table to another very quickly and efficiently.  I don't
know if you've ever heard the term "primary key" before, but it simply
refers to a unique identifier that is common to the database tables and
uniquely identifies one and only one object in each of the databases.  I
believe that's what makes up a relational database.  As for transactions,
only very high-end commercial databases (such as your friend's Oracle)
support transactions.  They are only required in applications such as
real-time transactions.  For example...Etrade.com would use Oracle probably
to control all trading, and amazon.com would use Oracle to control all
inventory and purchases.  I hope this answers some of your questions.

Paul Arsenault, CCNA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]