Oh, dear, I was afraid that that message might be
misinterpreted! I thought my humor was evident enough
by the informal language, but I guess I should have
put a smiley on it too.

I didn't mean hubris in a bad sense. The sense I get
from Larry's use of it (from reading the Camel book),
and the sense I meant here, was having enough
self-confidence to believe that you *can* do all the
things you mention, rather than just putting up with
what is handed to you because you're too humble to
think that little old you could do better. It might
tend towards arrogance in some cases, maybe,
especially when unwarranted by the actual talent
behind it, but true arrogance connotes more negative
personality traits, such as not being open to other
points of view or debate, and that's *not* what I
meant.

I did assume familiarity with Larry's philosophy of
Laziness, Impatience, and Hubris as The Basis of All
Good Software Design, and maybe I shouldn't have. I'd
quote some of this from the Camel book, but I don't
have it with me. I would summarize it as good
programmers don't like write the same thing over and
over, yet if they don't like something they got
elsewhere, they'll write something themselves that
they like better. I suspect he intentionally chose
provocative words to get people's attention, but his
claim that they lead to good software design implies
that far from being bad traits, he thinks that they
are actually good traits, properly applied.

I apologize that my message was taken negatively. I
meant it positively. I support the spirit of your
effort.

- John

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> That actually has nothing to do with it.  It has
> everything to do with the strong desire to improve
> circumstances, be innovative, make the world a
> better place.  If you want to call me arrogant for
> trying to improve my surroundings, go right ahead,
> but your tacking the wrong name on me.
>
> David

=====
"Now it's over, I'm dead, and I haven't done anything that I want; or, I'm still
alive, and there's nothing I want to do." - They Might Be Giants, http://www.tmbg.com