Roger --

...and then Roger Spears said...
%
% Hello,

Hi!

%
% Well for my next project I'm trying to build an interactive calendar
% system using Perl/CGI.

Neat.  I'd be quite interested in the finished product.  I've been
searching (fruitlessly) for a calendar that will print multi-day events
in a lined-up bar across the days instead of jumbling events together.
Will yours work for me?

%
% I've got it all worked out on paper...almost, but I can't figure out how
% to get the script to actually fill in the table of boxes which represent
% the days of the month.  That is to say, how can I get the script to
% figure out that the 1st of July this year was a Monday?  Anyone know of
% any example scripts or snippets of code I could look at for this
% project?

You mean something like

  bash-2.05a$ cal 07 2002 | head -3
       July 2002
  Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
      1  2  3  4  5  6
  bash-2.05a$ \
  > perl -e 'use Date::Manip;print Date_DayOfWeek("7","1","2002") . "\n";'
  1
  bash-2.05a$ cal 08 1968 | head -3
      August 1968
  Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
               1  2  3
  bash-2.05a$ \
  > perl -e 'use Date::Manip;print Date_DayOfWeek("8","1","1968") . "\n";'
  4

or so? :-)  If you know the epoch time of a given date then localtime
will give you the day of the week, too, but I couldn't think of a way to
get the right expr to feed localtime in thirty seconds so I fell back on
an additional module (which is quite handy, BTW).

%
% Thanks,
% Roger

HTH & HAND