Wow... but I don't believe this can be accompolish without
installing anything to client side computer(/server).
Even you can, you are possibly doing the way on 'hack'. =)

With some file tricky header decorations, you can auto run
a file downloaded in Win OS(Me and previous) not patched.
But I am not sure if this can be run on a Unix like server.

A possible approach would be like this :

At Server Side (Your server)
A "config generator" which handles user's demanded request.
A "Config phraser" to fedback to remote side computer.

At Client Side (Remote Server)
A "Request Engine", perhaps using LWP::* to query your server.
With what they design to.
A "Config phraser" to modify configs, with data respond on
your server.

Anyway, I believe that's a right way to choose Perl, because
you will dealing with many servers. You don't need to change
much on your code.

Perhaps you can tell us more about what kind of I/O and service
you want exactly. That would more easier to solve problems with
piece by piece.

Rgds,
Connie