Hi Connie,
Thanks for the reply.
Well, I don't think the client side needs to have anything installed.
I kind of know how it's supposed to be done I m just not sure who to write the code :)
A little bit more details:
1. Let's say I have a directory structure for the program like this:
program
program/data
program/test.cgi
program/data/config.txt

2. The user enters his server ftp username/password
The user also enters some server variables like path to Perl, sendmail,...
The user also enters some variables like where he wants the application to be
installed on the server. His server path, username/password, e-mail address...
and submits the form.

3. Now, at my server, where the application is located, here is what I need to do:
Method A:
ftp to the user server, and change to the directory he specified in the form
make some directories (program, data)
copy all the files from my server to those directories
set the permission on these files/directories
Open the test.cgi and change the path to Perl, and save it.
Open the config file and enter the variables the user entered and save it.

Method B:
Open the test.cgi and change the path to Perl, and save it.
Open the config file and enter the variables the user entered and save it.
ftp to the user server, and change to the directory he specified in the form
make some directories (program, data)
copy all the files from my server to those directories
set the permission on these files/directories

I guess this is it!
Hopefully this makes it more clear :)
Now, if the different servers are a problem, I don't mind starting from Unix based
servers and just address those.

Soheil