Alex,
the answer to this one is probably imagemagick. I have a small photos site
as well and use imagemagick to create all the other sizes from the master
image.

After you have install image magick, the basic syntax is...

                use Image::Magick;
                $p = new Image::Magick;
                $p->Read(..your main image...);

                $p->Scale(width=>$required_width, height=> $required_height);

                $p->Write(..your scaled image...)

your only trickyish part is keeping the projection right when you scale the
image, however, for a start, the above code can get you going.

With my site I have an upload screen for images. Accepting images in this
screen causes the scaled images to be created - I have a couple of scaled
images for various purposes (web user monitor sizes etc).

best of luck

joel