Greetings!

I am attempting to use objects to organize a program somewheat
intelligently.  I am running into a problem using the CGI method "br".

My main routine has the following use statements:

use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);
use CGI qw/:standard center *big delete_all/;

It begins writing HTML with the following code:

print
        header(-type=>'text/html',-expires=>'-1d'),
        start_html(-title=>'Volunteer Scheduling System',-vlink=>'blue'),
        center(p(img({-src=>'cvsr.gif'}),br,strong("Welcome to the Volunteer
Scheduling System $usrvals[1] $usrvals[3]."),br,
<snip>

There is no problem with this statement.  Note that the CGI method "br"
was used twice.  (At least I think that's what "br" is here.)

In a new module that I wrote, I have the following use statement:

use CGI qw/:standard center *big delete_all *br/;

This module defines an object that knows how to build an HTML string.
It has a GetHTML() method that returns a string, and it's the
responsibility of the calling routine to send that string to standard
output to build the web page.  The GetHTML() routine uses the following
code to build a string:

$htmlString = p
              (
                center
                (
                  strong
                  (
                    "Train(s) and positions for the day you have selected."
                  ) .
                  br .
                  "Click the position you would like to volunteer for." .
                  br .
                  "Positions that are already taken cannot be clicked." .
                  br .
                  "Use the date dropdowns above to change to a different day."
                )
              ) .
              br .
              "<TABLE align=center><TR>";

In this instance, Perl is complaining that the bareword "br" is not
allowed when "strict subs" is in use.  I don't understand why it's not
allowed here but it is allowed in the other module.  Can somebody
please explain this?

Thanks very much!

RobR