Dave,

Your response dovetails nicely with my next question.  The module I'm
working in begins as follows:

use warnings;
use strict;
use CGI qw/:standard center strong *big delete_all/;

After putting parentheses after my calls to "br", the program compiled
and started running.  It barfed, though, at the following line:

$htmlString = p(center(strong("There are not any trains running on this
day.<br>Use the date dropdowns above to select a different day.")));

It complained that $Schedule::strong was undefined.  As you
illustrated, changing "strong" to "CGI::strong" fixed that problem, and
it proceeded to complain about "$Schedule::center" being undefined.

I had thought that the "use CGI" line would tell Perl enough about
those functions that I wouldn't have to qualify them.  What do I have
to do to avoid putting the package name before every subroutine that
doesn't come from the package I'm developing?  For a complicated
program, I would imagine qualifying every subroutine call would get
very cumbersome!

Thanks once again!

RobR

P.S.  In the little test program, if I leave the semicolon off the last
line, it compiles.  If I put it on, it complains about the "br"
bareword.  I'm using IndigoPerl.