It was Wednesday, December 03, 2003 when Casey West took the soap box, saying:
: I'm beta-testing a robot that searches Google when new questions are
: posed to the beginners' lists.  I have no idea if it will be useful.
: :-)

I should like to make an important note. This bot is not intended to
deter people from answering questions. Indeed, the goal of this list is
still to give detailed, useful answers to questions. Specific answers
that really help people.

This robot is intended as a First Response Service, something that can
help the questioner between the time they ask a question and the time
they receive a good answer, from a human. My goal is that the archives
from this list and others, and the web itself will be of further
assistance, perhaps even adding a spark of creativity to some code or
thought process. Therefore I hope this robot will bring that information
a small step closer to the list.

So please, keep answering those questions. The robot doesn't do such
a great job at answering questions, only guesses at where the
technical information might be, which is still a very useful service
as far as I can see.

Finally, the subject lines from the robot have been altered to show what
it really is, a First Response System. Think of a person in cardiac
arrest. First Response does some very general, well tested attempts at
saving the patient. Sometimes they're successful, but the patient still
needs to see the doctor, maybe even ER. That's what we're here for. :-)

  Casey West

PS: For all who asked, I'll show the source code in due course.

--
"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked
with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a