It was Thursday, December 04, 2003 when Wiggins d Anconia took the soap box, saying:
:
:
: > It was Wednesday, December 03, 2003 when Casey West took the soap box,
: saying:
: > : I'm beta-testing a robot that searches Google when new questions are
: > : posed to the beginners' lists.  I have no idea if it will be useful.
: > : :-)
: >
: > I should like to make an important note. This bot is not intended to
: > deter people from answering questions. Indeed, the goal of this list is
: > still to give detailed, useful answers to questions. Specific answers
: > that really help people.
:
: I don't quite understand why the first response is sent back to the list
: rather than just the OP though?  Using your analogy it seems like the
: first response is *also* trying to save the doctors at the same time,
: which would seem to get in their way. Another concern is that the
: response comes from your address, or at least uses your name, which will
: eventually (though maybe the subject will stem this, since it just went
: in) cause me to ignore all posts from "Casey West" which would be a bad
: thing.
:
: Personally I use the list through SMTP and don't have a thread/filter
: option for about half the time I am reading it (don't worry early next
: year I intend to write a web mail client that I can use that will do
: these things ;-)) which means the automated messages get in the way more
: than they help *me*.
:
: I do like the idea of sending help back to the OP, and I appreciate your
: time and efforts as admin of the list(s), just throwing out my $.02....

Thanks for the input, it's most valuable.  That's the point of
testing, after all.  :-)

  Casey West

--
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet; when toast is
dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose