All of the experts you are talking about started out some time as clueless newbies
too. They didn't
become experts by asking questions, the answers to which they could find themselves.
Instead they
spent a lot of time sweating it out, trying to find the answers themselves.  If a
newbie does not
refer to available sources of information in his quest to solve a problem, he is
either not good
enough, or is too lazy to make an effort. Either way it is not in his best interests
to be helped
out each time. Problem solving is a skill, not gained by looking helpless. With that
end in mind
most of the mockery and criticism is designed to develop trouble shooting skills. The
most
important component of which is simply searching for relevant information. Now how
difficult is
that ?  In most cases where these experts help out is where the newbie demonstrates a
willingness
to make an effort, usually with his own implementation of what needs to be done. As
such I think
that article needs to be in the beginners list FAQ (maybe some way to make sure that
every list
member is forced to read it), so that newbies know what is expected of them. I am sure
it will
save tons of time for the experts, allowing them to help out the more deserving
candidates.
At least it will save some bandwidth :-]. Anyways even (God|Merlyn) helps those who
help
themselves ;-].
/kk