  NA> First, some background - I'm a long-time programmer, primarily in
  NA> java, secondarily in PHP and shell script.  I have started working
  NA> with a new team who uses perl, so I've had to learn it - from them,
  NA> from books/tutorials, from this list, and by just writing it.  I spent
  NA> a bunch of time with online tutorials and books before really getting
  NA> started, so most of my interest in this list is about "real-life
  NA> examples of perl" rather than "learning to program".

if you spent any time with the typical perl tutorial on the net, you
wasted it. maybe 3 or so of them are decent, the rest are garbage.

  NA> For my point of view: I find this list to be like most 'beginners'
  NA> lists I've seen - 20% filled with homework questions, 60% filled with
  NA> real questions with very helpful answers, and 20% filled with
  NA> bickering about religious wars (about perl, about response-style,
  NA> about email formatting, etc.)  I honestly think that mix is normal and
  NA> indicates that the list is basically healthy, so I live with the 40%
  NA> that isn't useful to me, because the 60% is so useful.  (Plus the
  NA> 'mute' feature of gmail is great!)

the formatting wars you are whining about are important. communication
is the goal here and if everyone posted however they wanted, not much
would happen. there are rules to email/usenet and they were created long
ago in ancient days and they are still valid. we read top to bottom so
post that way. we don't need to see the old emails fully quoted so edit
them (that rule came out of actual needs for less storage and
bandwidth. even though that isn't important anymore it is still a better
way to write emails).

  NA> In regards to Shlomi and his approach to the emails - he posts a lot.
  NA> Most of it is timely, accurate, and helpful.  Even before this thread,
  NA> I had a real sense that he was keeping the list quality high - even if
  NA> a small part of his content is about religious wars.  I don't mind the
  NA> links to perl-begin at all - perl-begin has been a great resource for
  NA> me.  I thought this post about contributing to open source was
  NA> off-topic, and I'm glad someone pointed that out - but I think his
  NA> personal signal/noise ratio is high, and I think that discouraging him
  NA> from posting isn't good for the list.

the rules are those who contribute and help, the make the rules. lurkers
can jump in but their voices are usually discounted. it is that way
since otherwise it would become lord of the flies in perl.

  NA> In general, it seems like people on this list seem to be very
  NA> responsive, but often are rather harsh about email formatting and
  NA> such, while being somewhat mild about people asking the list to do
  NA> their job/homework for them.  That has always seemed backwards to me
  NA> :)

nope. you are backwards to it! :)

  NA> I don't always agree with the answers/advice about the religious wars
  NA> - but I think it's important for all new netizens/programmers to learn
  NA> how to spot religious issues, so I don't feel it's necessary to jump
  NA> in.

and you are being religious about religious issues. pot meet kettle. :)

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  u...@stemsystems.com  --------  http://www.sysarch.com --
-----  Perl Code Review , Architecture, Development, Training, Support ------