On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Rajeev Prasad <rp.ne...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> i am simply trying to find a tool/module/method (as in English
> word method) which would allow asynchronous XMLHTTPRequest to
> be sent to perl CGI programs on my web server (or sub routines
> in a perl script) and return the value(s) to webpage to be
> displayed in the div i want to display on.

AJAX is most often used as a buzzword. The actual definition is
Asynchronous JavaScript And XML. The key is the XMLHttpRequest
object in JavaScript (a non-standard browser extension), which
allows code to make a Web request in the background
(asynchronously) without affecting the current page. The result
of that request may be XML data, but often JSON is used instead
of XML because it's simpler and usually smaller (the term AJAX is
often used anyway). You can also choose to just return plain HTML
too instead of data. The server doesn't actually /need/ to do
anything special for this. The AJAX part can be completely
implemented in client-side JavaScript. Then it's a matter of
having server-side code that returns the right response, whether
that's a snippet of HTML, an entire HTML document, or some data
format. The server doesn't necessarily need to expect to be used
asychronously, though it often does for efficiency's sake (it's
often more efficient to send data than an entire document).

> i was wondering is this possible: [example from web, modified a
> bit]
*snip*

Your example appears to be just fetching an HTML snippet from a
Web server and inserting it into the DOM with JavaScript.
Relatively little is needed on the server to do this. Which ever
CGI program you invoke will need to know what you are asking for.
It could be a specialized program that only handles one request
type, or it could be a dispatcher that figures out what you want
by GET or POST data and returns it appropriately. That is up to
you.  Whether the program outputs an HTML document, an HTML
snippet, or some data format is also up to you. The client-side
implementation will need to specially deal with whatever response
type the server sends.

I would recommend a JavaScript library, such as jQuery, to make
things a little bit easier on the JavaScript side. As I said, the
XMLHttpRequest object is non-standard, and some browsers do it a
little bit differently. jQuery can also help to abstract other
incompatibilities, like innerHTML and innerText. jQuery can be
thought of as a cross-browser compatibility layer (with added
sugar). There are other options, of course, but jQuery is just
the one that I am familiar with.

I personally haven't gotten around to doing any real CGI
programming so I can't help out with that.

Regards,

--
Brandon McCaig <http://www.bamccaig.com/> <bamcc...@gmail.com>
V zrna gur orfg jvgu jung V fnl. Vg qbrfa'g nyjnlf fbhaq gung jnl.