On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 6:39 PM, John W. Krahn <jwkr...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Jonathan Harris wrote:
>

>> Hi Igor
>>
>> Many thanks for your response
>>
>> I have started reviewing the things you said
>> There are some silly mistakes in there - eg not using closedir
>> It's a good lesson in script vigilance
>>
>> I found the part about opening the file handle particularly interesting
>> I had no idea that
>>
>> open my $wr_fh, '>', File::Spec->catfile($path, $dircontents, '.md5') or
>> die $!, $/
>>
>> was possible
>>
>> Now it's time to sit down and digest all this......and rewrite the script
>> to make it better!
>>

> Igor made a lot of good points.  Here are my two cents worth.  You are
> using the File::Find module to traverse the file system and add new files
> along the way.  This _may_ cause problems on some file systems. It would
> probably be better to get a list of applicable files first and then use
> that list to create your new files.  And you should have some way to handle
> the situation where a file exists that already has an '.md5' file or an
> '.md5' file exists with no corresponding plain file.
>

> John
> --
> Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and
> more complex... It takes a touch of genius -
> and a lot of courage to move in the opposite
> direction.                   -- Albert Einstein
>
> --

Hi John

Thanks for your 2 cents

I hadn't considered that the module wouldn't be portable
If that is the case, then maybe it would be best to
ditch File::Find altogether?
Have you had experience with the module causing issues on certain systems?

It would be a shame, as I've just got it working! - Thanks to Igor, I no
longer use the unnecessary dir handles!

I agree that it may be worth examining the directory for existing .md5
files and skipping them
I'll look in to adding that in to the code

All the best and thanks for your help

Jonathan