On Friday, August 2, 2002, at 08:36 , Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Jenda Krynicky wrote:
>
>>      Computing power is cheap, programmers' time is expensive!
[..]
> The cost of inefficient programs is cumulative and results
> in increasing all the infrastructure costs because of the
> requirement for more and more "cheap" computing power.
[..]

but that also means more goods and services as more
manufactured products are release to compensate for
bad coding.

in like manner coding it badly the first time also
means that if and when the project is identified
as 'under-performing' - then of course there is
all sorts of employment opportunity for managers,
designers, and even software developers.

The structural flaw in your argument is that the
decision to use 'perl' was based upon the implicit
efficiencies in it for the task at hand - both at
the run time level, as well as the development cycle.

Which, as we all know, leads to the code being more
efficiently maintained, causing a down draft in the
sales of server, which causes a down draft in the
number of chips sold, and the complete economic
catastrophy of deflationary practices. Not to mention
the unpleasantry that there are fewer jobs for software
developers, as there is less code that needs to be
maintained by highly trained highly paid technical experts.

Hum.... I think this leads us to why the project should
have been done in C++ and/or Object Oriented Cobol... or....

but clearly perl was a very unpatriotic choice to make
in these grim economic times....

ciao
drieux

---