From: "Dennis G. Wicks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Jenda Krynicky wrote:
> >
> >     Computing power is cheap, programmers' time is expensive!
> >

> Yes, but the programmer's time is only used once.
> CPU cycles are used again and again and again ...

So you have to find the right proportion.

Besides ... who told you your time is only used once? What about
maintenance?

> The cost of inefficient programs is cumulative and results
> in increasing all the infrastructure costs because of the
> requirement for more and more "cheap" computing power.

While I understand your sentiment (OH how I wish I could get rid of
that [censored] Merant PVCS.) quite often you do not create things
that deserve that much attention. Quite often it doesn't matter if a
task takes one minute or two, but whether the users can start using
it this week or in half a year.

Of course we should try to design and code efficient programs. But
this demand should not stop us from having them done in time and
should not force us to devote to the programs 200% of our life.

Jenda
=========== [EMAIL PROTECTED] == http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz ==========
It's just that in the mess on my table ... and in my brain
I can't find it.
                                        --- me