answering my own question, i read back the newsgroup a little, and came
across an article about perlcc. i tried this..
perlcc -o output input.pl
however, since my program uses DBI, the end compiled program reads:

Connecting to SQL...
Undefined subroutine &DBI::dr::connect called at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i686-linux/DBI.pm line 503.
Undefined subroutine &DBI::dr::disconnect_all called at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i686-linux/DBI.pm line 565.
END failed--call queue aborted.

any ideas how i may be able to come over this?

dan