        If you want to pad with zeroes then I assume you mean as leading zeroes, then
use sprintf/printf "%05d", $num will place as 00123 or -00123. You use the 0 as part
of the command%05d to tell sprintf/printf to use leading zeros. If you only do %5d
then it is space leading.
  Wags ;)

>> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>>
>> $num =123;
>>
>> ($match) = ($num =~ m/(\d)/);
>

>> print "$match \n";  # should print 3
>>
>> __END__

This message contains information that is confidential
and proprietary to FedEx Freight or its affiliates.
It is intended only for the recipient named and for
the express purpose(s) described therein.
Any other use is prohibited.