From: Anthony Beaman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 25 June 2003 13:24
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Array Question

Hi! I'm still wallowing in Chapter 3 (Arrays. Why can't I get it?!?!?!?
ARGH!!!!!) of Learning Perl on Win32 Systems. I'm trying to create an
exercise but I'm not getting the results that I want. Here's what I'm trying
to do:

I'm asking for a list of names:

 print "Name your friends: ";
 @names = <STDIN>;

Then I want to pretend that I know the one of the friends. In this case,
I'll choose the 2nd one and here's where I'm not getting what I want:

  print "I know $names[1].\n";

The output shows "I know ."

Isn't "$names[whatever]" what I'm supposed to use to get an element of the
array? I've tried this with numbers and have gotten the same results. What
am I doing wrong? Thanks! :-)