But the analogy with return/last is likely to confuse -- why can
you use retlast() in places where neither return() or last() make
any sense?

You are mainly right. I was perhaps too fast and careless when writing that example. Also return and retlast were just the first words that came in to my mind (from pl/sql) so perhaps they might also remind of exiting a subroutine or something. So, there might be better words to that command - if that needs a command at all. For example with that example (see below) - of course - there's no need of command to do it, because default values will be fine.

But i think You perhaps miss my point that is to make these constructs simplier and one solution for not every - but every possible case - to defaultly and with no gimmicks to return values from loops or some other constructs. I have not yet all answers ready how to cope with all of them but ideas have been developed during this discussion.

  ($x, $y) = do {
    if ($condition) { 42, 43 }
    else            { 44, 45 }
  };

I didn't know the if works already like that. I think it'd be just perfect if it could be written without 'do' like this:

  ($x, $y) =
     if ($condition) { 42, 43 }
     else               { 44, 45 };

I don't know if it's yet possible to write it like this (and can't try it just now). If it is i am satisfied with it and think only other constructs.

But the analogy with return/last is likely to confuse -- why can
you use retlast() in places where neither return() or last() make
any sense?

I agree, retlast is extremely stupid with this example.

Thanks for the constructive comments,

ville jungman, 2 laureston crescent, tower, blarney, cork, ireland
tel. + 353 - 21 - 451 6847, http://www.kolumbus.fi/vilmak
usko Herraan Jeesukseen, niin sinä pelastut. (apt. 16:31)