Charles K. Clarkson wrote:
Hello,

    A recent job posting has left me curious. I would never
take a full time job as a programmer or as anything else for
that matter. I just don't make a good employee any more.
Been there. Done that.

    The job posting demanded a college degree. I had one
semester of college 20 years ago and normally classify
myself as "finished high school". I'm curious: What level of
education have list members attained?

4 years, Bachelors of Art.... in *Economics and Business*....

I learned more in my 10 months of unemployment from 2001-mid 2002 than I did in 4 years of college. College for me was learning to deal with people in a professional manner, working together with peers at a high intellectual level, and maturing, and has very little to do with having any specific set of skills or particular classes. Many people can't learn this on their own, others can, the ones that succeed without a college degree probably were capable of doing it on their own.

If I were hiring I would look for a college degree as it implies a certain type of seasoning, but wouldn't gauge a person solely on having or not having a degree. The difficult part I would think would be getting a foot in the door, once you have accomplished the task of getting a sit down interview, whether or not you have developed that "seasoning" on your own will shine through in your personality.

Having said that I am not in charge of hiring :-), and have worked with people that have had master's in CS as programmers that didn't know the first thing about effective programming, and I have worked with people with high school educations that could pick up a new skill, etc. in days.

But then I also share the philosophy that one should go to school (at any level) to be in an environment that foster's learning rather than to get a better job... sometimes it is difficult being a romantic idealist.....

http://danconia.org