> I want my web page redirect to open in a new window, as if I were
> putting "target=_new" in the html of the URL.  How can I do that using
> CGI.pm's redirect?  I have this:
>
> print $output->redirect($u)
>
> with $u being the URL I am redirecting, too.

The problem is that the redirect is providing an HTTP header back with
the new location and a result code that instructs the browser to find
the page at the new location, this is working at the protocol level
which has no knowledge of windows, targets, etc. So using 'redirect' is
not likely to get you anywhere at the client level.

Generally I would think your best bet would be to have the link itself
use a standard target, which for some reason you seem to be avoiding,
reasons?  Alternatively you could pass back some javascript for the
onLoad handler and have it pop the new redirect in a new window, but the
problem I see here is that the browser will have already cleared the
window's contents and "loaded" a new page, so the same handler would
need to restore the previous contents, which gets real ugly, especially
if the referer is POST'ed.  I wouldn't even want to think about the
nightmares dealing with different versions of browsers + javascript,
etc.  However if your referer is static and you can guarantee it then it
wouldn't be as much of a problem.

http://danconia.org