On 12/2/06, hOURS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
But I think we can ignore all those questions, because I don't see a need to
work with this example.  I'm just looking for someone to tell me how alarm
works.  A few sentences in English will be fine.  No code really need be
written.

Old multi processor systems used two methods for interrupting the
current process/thread -- hardware timers and/or software signals.

The method Perl (and most modern systems) uses today is software signals.

Think of it as a polite way to say PMFJI to the current
thread/process.  The alarm simply installs a kernel-level process to
"interrupt" the target thread/process when a previously determined
"event" occurs.

HTH/-Sx-
--
WC (Bill) Jones -- http://youve-reached-the.endoftheinternet.org/