hOURS am Donnerstag, 7. Dezember 2006 06:51:
>     Thanks for trying, but this right  here is the heart of the matter.
> I’d be  using alarm to time a certain thing.   It seems to me, any
> explanation of how to do that, be it plain English  or sample code has to
> incorporate that thing. My program in a nutshell goes:
>   Blah blah blah the beginning part
>   require  someprogramthatmayhaveaninfiniteloop.pl
>   Blah blah blah the ending part
>       Note that’s not the literal  code.  :)
>       As it stands if  someprogramthatmayhaveaninfiniteloop.pl does go on
> forever I will never get to  the ending part.  How would one add  alarm to
> this such that the ending part gets executed regardless? Fred Kittelmann
>
>       > Where is the thing being timed?  I understand something is being
>       > given 5 seconds, but what?

Hello Fred

I doubt that I understand what you exactly want (get your code working? Know
how alarm works in detail?).

Maybe somebody else does.

If not, could you provide a trimmed down version of your program (the main
program and the required someprogramthatmayhaveaninfiniteloop.pl) that can be
run and modified.

Dani