Jay Savage wrote:
On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thomas Bätzler wrote:
Gunnar Hjalmarsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Some would suggest the use of the FindBin module. It does the right thing, but unfortunately it is known to be buggy.
Actually, I wish more modules were as "buggy" as FindBin ;-)

I.e. that they would work robustly for all of the common usage cases and document exactly the cases in which they'd fail, like http://search.cpan.org/~rgarcia/perl-5.10.0/lib/FindBin.pm#KNOWN_ISSUES
Ever tried to use FindBin in a program that is run under mod_perl?

I believe that FindBin->again() allows it to work under mod_perl, now.

Hmm... Considering the OP's goal to make it work on various platforms with, supposedly, various Perl versions, it wouldn't be very wise to rely on the new again() method. But now I notice the tip in the FindBin docs to simply reload FindBin to make it work under mod_perl.

Maybe I have unnecessarily discouraged the OP from making use of FindBin, after all. OTOH, the solution he seems to have chosen should be a decent one as well.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson