This is going back a few years, but when I had my first Berner, Zookie, I
also had a Quarterhorse mare, Flicka :-)  I got her from the 99 + year old
man who lived next door and had ridden in the cavalry in WW I - yes, World
War ONE.  Flicka came with an old cavalry saddle, the most comfortable thing
I ever sat on.  Flicka, Zookie, and I did a week-long Maine adventure one
autumn, leaving home in South Thomaston, and heading inland through Warren,
Union, Appleton, Hope, all the way to Liberty.  Then east through
Lincolnville Center and home again.  It was one of those glorious Maine
falls, with the air crisp and frosty in the mornings, and the sun warm in the
afternoons.  We carried only a sleeping bag for me, and a saddlebag of dog
food for Zookie, having plotted out the stay-overs along the way with
different friends every night, so pasture, grain and horse accommodations
pre-planned.  Days of wonderful riding, evenings of wild greetings in a
different front yard full of friends and kids and barking dogs, banquets, and
late night chats.  Then in the morning, as friends headed off for work and
school, we'd saddle up and hit the road.  Not exactly back-country riding,
but dirt roads, and woods roads, and quiet country lanes.  And a lot of
people coming out to wave, or slowing the occasional pickup truck to share a
smile and a "wish I could join you!"  We made it home at dusk, on the night
before start of hunting season.  Whew!

That was a wonderful memory.  Thank you, to whoever started this thread.

Libby Kesner
and the Berner girls of Maine
horseless, in Voorheesville NY USA