There is irony in judging and chastising others because they have allegedly
judged and chastised another :)

I have long since abandoned the notion that everything is okay -- it isn't.
And I think it is important for people to speak up when they see things that
they believe are wrong and so I am not offended by your post or the ones
that precipitated it. As long as the position is being challenged and there
is no attack on the person, disagreement is healthy.

There are many deserving populations of people in need, and I have always
appreciate the opportunity to target my good intentions to areas that I will
be competent, trusting that there are others who will "cover" other areas of
need since I cannot do it all. Further, my berner "habit" gives me the
emotional uplifts and breaks that I need to be able to do other things that
are very hard and yet need to be done -- work in the area of children's
grief, for example (or raise four teenage boys!). While some may see my dog
hobby as frivolous and a waste of my time and talents (and money), I am able
to do other things BECAUSE I have this outlet that makes me so happy -- I
suspect I am not unique in this.

There is a culture in our berner community complete with social norms and
shared ethics. Some are well understood (DON'T sell your puppies in a pet
shop, for example) and others may be less obvious and more gray than black
and white. I do believe that most of us on the berner-l are well connected
members of the berner community, and understand most of the norms that shape
our culture. This does not mean we all agree but it does mean we are
probably more like each other than, for example, puppy mills who breed
berners.

The reaction to the person who has a leftover puppy was very understandable.
As a group, I would venture to say that we prefer breeders to be well
connected, well informed people. Announcing a leftover puppy raised a
commotion precisely because it was so unusual, so far from the norm both on
this list and in the berner community. It suggested a "breeder" who is not
well informed and not well connected, although certainly our information is
somewhat limited. However, there is enough information to sound the alarms
and raise the red flags and that is what people did. Hopefully, we can both
do that and issue invitations for that person and others to join us.

We are a diverse group, and I believe that is one of our strengths. However,
I must say again that I do not believe that we should have the attitude of
"anything goes" in our breed or in life for that matter. The more difficult
issue arises when we decide what is and is not okay in our breed, which is
precisely why a Code of Ethics is so tricky to develop and implement, and
yet so very important.

Mary-Ann Bowman
Utah

Mary-Ann Bowman