***particularly as I understand osteosarcoma is not a "big" problem in our
breed overall ***

According to Dr Padgett in a study of 848 tumours the percentage of
osteosarcomas found was 1.7%.

Within the Rottweiler breed I would surmise from personal experience that
osteo is significant as it caused by far the highest rate of cause of death
in my dogs. I still get phone calls for puppies and as often as not people
have just lost a dog to bone cancer so my own feeling is that in Rotties it
is probably genetic.

Just a note. Here in S Africa the Rotties are not neutered early and dogs
are mostly left entire for the duration of their lives. Bitches would be
spayed after maternal duties are completed at around 7 - 8 years of age.
Average age is between 9 - 10 and in our experience the youngest Rottie we
had with osteo was 5 (a bitch) and the oldest 10 (a bitch spayed at 8
because of pyo).

Marion Brown
Teversal Bernese Mountain Dogs
South Africa
Dogs Never Lie About Love (Jeffrey Masson)