Hi all,

I need the expertise of experienced BMD owners.  Here's my situation.  I
am lucky to be owned by a 9 month old male BMD, Henley (neutered).
Usually we live in Syracuse, where I'm at school, but I'm spending the
summer in Seattle with my sister, her husband and three dogs.  These
dogs are:  1). 12 yr.old Chessie - an old coot, deaf, and demanding, but
somewhat oblivious (neutered) , 2) 2.5 yr old chessie/lab mix (neutered
and the problem) and 3) 6 month old Mexican beach dog rescue - who knows
what breed, but very much a pack dog (set to be neutered this month).

I guess it's not surprising that the male chessie x has exhibited some
nasty behavior towards Henley.  The first bad incident was after I had
dropped my sister and her husband at the airport on their vacation.  I
don't think it was food related, but as soon as I got in the house, the
chessie went after Henley, I had to pull him off, and Henley ended up
with a nasty ear wound that took about 3 weeks to heal and set me back
$100. Henley has bared his teeth towards this dog, and sometimes this
dog seems to defer to Henley, but mostly he's trying to put Henley in
his place.  Things flared up again today - my sister, before leaving for
work gave them flip chips, and as soon as she left, the chessie came
after Henley, lunged at him very aggressive and took the flippie away (I
was still in bed, where Henley came with the treat, so also go the brunt
of it!).  There was also another close call after their feeding tonight.
My sisters' oldest dog has a tendency to pick at her food, so it's often
left out, while the two males try to jocky for position.

Things seem a little better if I'm the one feeding all the dogs, which
sometimes happens twice a day, but more often once a day.  And today,
when I had Henley and the Chessie x in my car, the Chessie seemed
deferential to Henley.

I know there are pack issues at play, and the Chessie has a right to
assert his position; and Henley's at the bottom of the pack.  I expected
a few tough moments, but figured things would settle down, especially
after the first blood-shedding.

 Are Berners not as sensitive to pack issues so Henley isn't getting the
message?   Or am I just spoiling him too much by keeping my nose in
things?  Is the Chessie entitled to continue drawing blood to assert his
position, or is there a point when his human should take a stand on how
far he can go?  It's one thing to growl and lunge, but it seems to be
another when he hangs on.  The first time Henley defecated, since then
there have been a few incidents (like today), when he emits a strong
odor.  Is it time for me to keep Henley crated?

Both males play with the female puppy - Henley more often, with the
Chessie often keeping a close eye and getting after Henley when he
thinks Henley's gone too far.

How should I handle this situation?  Besides the strife with the dogs,
it's created quite a problem between me and my sister.

HELP!

Deborah Robinson and Henley.